This ain't the Brownie Pudding from my childhood. I made too many changes to call it the same recipe anymore! With healthy ingredient substitutions, this is UPSCALED Brownie Pudding!
Servings: 12 brownies
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons fresh ground whole wheat, Sub whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, preferably something organic, low processed, or at minimum cane sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao powder, or high quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, sub scant 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, or butter, all my butter was frozen, easier to scoop a quick bit of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, optional
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, see above
- 1/2 cup cacao or high quality cocoa
Preheat oven to 350F
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Mix in wet ingredients and walnuts if using.
Spread into greased minimum 2-quart dish. My pyrex 7"x11" fits the bill. If you don't know what size your pan is, fill up two quart jars of water and pour them in.
Place dish on a sturdy cookie sheet/jellyroll pan.
Mix together the brown sugar and cacao and evenly sprinkle it over batter.
Pour boiling water over top.
Bake for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for about 30 minutes, until pudding thickens up and it's not scorching hot. Serve warm or cold.