Skillet Cornbread is my speciality. I'm not just boasting, when I mention I make it, I hear 'mmmm' 'yuuum' 'jealooous!' Whether you freshly mill cornmeal or buy organic from the store, it’s a good recipe to have up your sleeve for serving to gluten free or dairy intolerant friends & family.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Servings: 6 pieces
- 1 3/4 cup organic cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar optional, don't need sugar if you're topping with maple syrup!
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter for pan
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk Almond for dairy free. Or use buttermilk but you'll need 1 1/2-2 cups depending on how thick it is.
- 1/4 cup melted butter, or bacon fat, lard, coconut oil or olive oil.
- butter or coconut oil
- maple syrup or honey
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl mix eggs, milk and oil.
When the oven is hot, put butter into 10" skillet and put in oven for 3-5 minutes until butter is melted.
Take the pan out of the oven and swirl to coat sides.
Mix wet into dry just until mixed. If you overmix (Or mix together too soon) the baking powder will loose it's oomph and the cornbread will be flat!
Pour batter into pan and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
You can cut into this after just a few minutes! Slice a wedge, cut the wedge in half, slather on butter, and then pour on MAPLE SYRUP!