Skillet Cornbread is my speciality. I'm not just boasting, when I mention I make it, I hear 'mmmm' 'yuuum' 'jealooous!'
I grew up eating Johnny Cake, which is cornbread made in an 8x8 pan or bigger, and this is how I've customized it to become mine.
I find Skillet Cornbread to be a good recipe to have up your sleeve for cooking/baking for people who can't have gluten or dairy! I bring the dry and wet ingredients in seperate containers and mix it together there so it's warm when we want to eat it because that's when it shines. Cold it's kinda blah. Alternatively, bake it in an 8x8 pan, cut into squares and reheat for a minute or two on a bbq. Grilled cornbread is amazing alongside a meal! (And you could make it the day before...)
We grind our own cornmeal out of organic popcorn. So if you're doing this in a Nutrimill you'll want the feed dial at about 2-3 o' clock. It's not as gritty as storebought cornmeal, but it makes this divine. If you don't have this option, I used to buy an organic cornmeal that had the 'grits' and the 'flour'. If you don't have access to this, substitute ¾ cup regular cornmeal and 1 cup cornflour or wheat flour. The original recipe uses the last option, but it is my least favourite as it's not as 'corn rich'(and is no longer gluten-free). PLEASE use organic cornmeal/flour, as corn is one of the highest genetically modified crops.
I shall allow you the pleasure of my recipe. Yum yum!
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
- 1 tablespoon butter* for pan
- 1¾ cups organic cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar optional
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk*
- ¼ cup melted butter*
- butter or coconut oil
- maple syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, milk, and oil or melted butter.
- When the oven is hot, put butter into 10" skillet and put in oven for 3-5 minutes until butter is melted.
- Carefully take the pan out of the oven and swirl to coat sides.
- Mix wet into dry just until mixed. If you overmix (or mix together too soon) the baking powder will loose its oomph and the cornbread will be flat!
- Pour batter into pan and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Dairy free? Use bacon fat, lard, coconut oil, or olive oil both in the batter and to grease the skillet. Vegan buttery sticks are also a great option.
- You can also use plain unsweetened almond milk in place of milk.
- You can cut into this after just a few minutes! Slice a wedge, cut the wedge in half, slather on butter, and then pour on MAPLE SYRUP!
Best Bread Recipes
You all know I love a beautiful loaf of bread! Here are some of my tried & true recipes for sharing with my family or gifting to my community!