Tomato Bacon Pasta Sauce is a favourite of Marius and me. And it’s so simple to make! The boys are still strongly in the “buttered noodles, hold the sauce, extra parmesan” phase for the last, well, their whole lives. I have hope though.
The recipe Tomato Bacon Pasta Sauce makes 3-4 quarts of sauce, enough to feed 12-15 adults. You’re not feeding 12-15 adults? Neither am I…but it’s the same amount of effort to make it this way and I can freeze it for quick meals later. I can share it with friends. I also used it as pizza sauce later in the week and it was ROCKING PIZZA SAUCE.
If you must, half the recipe, but I don’t suggest it!
Tomato Bacon Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 sliced onions, sub 2/3 dried onion
- 2- 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 4- 14 oz cans crushed tomatoes, or unseasoned tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped (sub 2 tbsp dried garlic)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- salt, to taste (this will depend how salty your bacon was)
- Chop bacon up into 1/2" chunks and sauce in a large heavy bottomed pot on medium heat.
- When mostly sautéed, add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, then turn to low and let gently bubble, lid on, for an hour.
- Taste for saltiness, and serve over cooked pasta!
Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes
Short on time? Try these other speedy weeknight meals!