I love these burls. One day I told my kids I was making cinnamon swirls…and they said “cinnamon burls??” and the name stuck! Look- I love a cinnamon bun as much as the next person. The problem is, they’re LOADED with sugar. They also have a lot of butter, which is a precious resource in our home! These lightened up cinnamon buns, hit the spot on the cinnamon sugar craving for me, and when I’m baking a treat or a crowd, its easy on the budget.
- 1 batch Elaines Fluffy Crustless Sandwich Bread Dough, risen double once, and punched down https://venisonfordinner.com/2020/02/06/elaines-fluffy-crustless-sandwich-bread/
- 1/2 cup sugar we use organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- In a pie plate, mix together sugar, cocoa, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment, silpats or grease them if you dont have either.
- Roll your bread dough out into a 12″ x 30″ rectangle.
- Spread water over all the dough with your hand or a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle 3/4 of the sugar mix over roughly 6″x 30″ of the rectangle.
- Fold the unsugared half over so its now roughly a 6″x30″ rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 1 inch strips.
- Pick up a strip, twist the dough and then tie it in a knot. Roll it in the pie plate of sugar.
- Place the knots on a cookie sheet. I prefer to cover the pan with a big plastic bag as a “proofing chamber”. You can even use plastic grocery bags.
- Let rise 30-45 minutes, until doubled.
- Get your oven preheated to 350F by the time the knots are doubled.
- Bake the knots for 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Make sure to enjoy some fresh and warm!