Fruit crisp must be well endowed in our house. I dont need no, “little bit of topping on some fruit.” I’m on team “little bit of fruit on my topping.” OK, in all honesty we’re just over half fruit and half topping. May as well go all in if you’re going to the trouble of making this dish!
If your fruit is frozen, I suggest baking ahead of time at 350 until it’s fully thawed and starting to bubble a bit before adding your topping. This way the topping doesn’t get lost in the juices before they thicken up. Just adjust your baking time accordingly after you add the topping so it doesn’t burn.
This is the perfect gluten-free dessert or breakfast. Oats are naturally gluten-free, and you can use whatever flour you have on hand whether that’s wheat or your favourite one-to-one blend. Just make sure any ingredients you use are certified gluten-free if that’s important to ya. Also keep allergies in mind when you’re choosing to add nuts or coconut to your topping.
This really is perfect for scooping out while hot to have as dessert. Leftovers are also great for breakfast, and you can eat this hot or cold. It pairs nicely with whipped cream, ice cream, or yogurt. I’ll let you decide what topping is for what meal.
Fresh Fruit Crisp
- 2 cups rolled oats*
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour this can be all purpose, whole wheat, buckwheat, GF blend
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ginger, OR cardamom OR a combo of all three
- 1 cup mixed nuts, seeds, or coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup melted butter
- 6-8 cups chopped fruit or berries**
- 1/2-1 cup dried or fresh/frozen cranberries optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix together everything but the butter.
- Stir in the butter and mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Mix together your fruit and pour into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Top your fruit with the oat topping, and bake at 350F for about 45-60 minutes, until filling is bubbling. If you’ve baked the frozen fruit first, this step after adding topping will be shorter and you’ll want to bake it until the topping is gently browned and fruit bubbly.
- Serve immediately or when cold- it makes an excellent breakfast. For dessert we eat with ice cream or whip cream, for breakfast we eat it with yogurt.