In our family, these are known as Nairns Smores Bars. Nairn went home to the Ranch in the Sky on December 25th, 2005. She leaves behind memories of her smile, hug, love, laughter and cooking. She was like a second Mum to my sisters and I and I miss her everyday.
This recipe for S’mores Bars is one that I make all the time. It’s so easy and so delicious you’re family will love ’em! (And you’ll be trying to keep your fingers off of your 6th, 8th?) one.
You no longer have an excuse not to bake homemade cookies.
I consider the ingredient list to have 3 parts. The Fat, The Flour and The Bits.
HAS to be butter. Don’t you dare use margarine or substitute oil. Use butter.
While it calls for 2 cups of flour, I’ve used 1 ¼ cup flour and ¾ cup oatmeal, you could use some wholewheat. It’s nice to a bit of cocoa too! (And more chocolate in the bits sections) Mix it up baby!
The original recipe calls for 1 c chocolate chips and 1 c chopped walnuts. For old times sake, I made the batch tonight with them! I use any of the following in the bits:
- Milk, dark or white chocolate
- Butterscotch chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds
- Walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts
- Raisins, Dried cranberries or blueberries
Some of my favourite combos? White chocolate and macadamias, mini marshmallows and butterscotch chips, dried blueberries and coconut, raisins and milk chocolate! The list goes on and on and on.
5 Ingredient Egg-Free Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer.
- Add in the flour and then bits!
- Mix er good, then press into an un-greased 9"x13" pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown all over and slightly browner on edges.
- Wait until cool (as cool as you can!) and cut into four sections length wise, turn the pan around and cut into 6 sections width wise.