Vegan Baked Beans (Instant Pot Friendly)
It’s not always possible to add bacon to homemade baked beans so I came up with a vegan version that tastes just as good! And you can make them in the Instant Pot, crock pot, or oven depending on which method works best for you!
I love bacon as much as the next girl. In fact, I might enjoy it more. But I don’t always have it. I don’t always have “a few slices” available to put in a pot of beans. Or I’ve got guests who don’t eat meat (the irony, is not lost, with the name of my blog.)
So my challenge was to come up with a recipe for baked beans that were reminiscent of the ones that come out of a can, without fancy steps or ingredients, and no bacon.
How did I do? I think I hit it out of the park. You’d better try some Vegan Baked Beans for yourself just to make sure.
Vegan Baked Beans
- 1 lb white navy beans can be unsoaked if using the instant pot
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds, sub for half amount ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon chile powder
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped (sub 1/4 cup dried onion flakes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4-6 cup water, This is going to somewhat depend on whether you soaked them, the beans you have, etc
Instant Pot Method
- Measure all ingredients into the Instant Pot. If unsoaked, use more like 6 cups water, if soaked, more like 4-5 cups.
- Make sure everything is covered with liquid and stirred well.
- Set to Manual Pressure for 20 minutes. (30 minutes if unsoaked)
- Make sure your beans are soaked.
- Measure all ingredients into an oven safe pot with lid, such as a dutch oven, and stir well.
- Bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours, stirring once or twice.
Slow Cooker Method
- Make sure beans are soaked, measure all ingredients into 4 qt or bigger slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook 4 hrs on high or 8 hrs on low, stirring once or twice.
Instant Pot Recipes
Put that pressure cooker to work so you don’t have to! Add these delicious Instant Pot recipes to your menu plan!