It's not always possible to add bacon to homemade baked beans so I came up with a vegan version that tastes just as good! And you can make them in the Instant Pot, crock pot, or oven depending on which method works best for you!
I love bacon as much as the next girl. In fact, I might enjoy it more. But I don't always have it. I don't always have "a few slices" available to put in a pot of beans. Or I've got guests who don't eat meat (the irony, is not lost, with the name of my blog.)
So my challenge was to come up with a recipe for baked beans that were reminiscent of the ones that come out of a can, without fancy steps or ingredients, and no bacon.
How did I do? I think I hit it out of the park. You'd better try some Vegan Baked Beans for yourself just to make sure.
Vegan Baked Beans
- 1 lb white navy beans can be unsoaked if using the instant pot
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds sub for half amount ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion chopped (sub ¼ cup dried onion flakes)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can tomato paste
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4-6 cup water This is going to somewhat depend on whether you soaked them, the beans you have, etc
Instant Pot Method
- Measure all ingredients into the Instant Pot. If unsoaked, use more like 6 cups water, if soaked, more like 4-5 cups.
- Make sure everything is covered with liquid and stirred well.
- Set to Manual Pressure for 20 minutes. (30 minutes if unsoaked)
- Make sure your beans are soaked.
- Measure all ingredients into an oven safe pot with lid, such as a dutch oven, and stir well.
- Bake at 350F for 1 ½ hours, stirring once or twice.
Slow Cooker Method
- Make sure beans are soaked, measure all ingredients into 4 qt or bigger slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook 4 hrs on high or 8 hrs on low, stirring once or twice.
Instant Pot Recipes
Put that pressure cooker to work so you don’t have to! Add these delicious Instant Pot recipes to your menu plan!
I have made these in the instant pot and I ALWAYS double the recipe because they are SO good. My husband and boys can’t get enough!! We will eat a portion and that will usually leave me enough for three more rounds with my family of four. I freeze them and sometimes I will add some browned ground beef to make a meal out of them. I can’t eat pork and it is hard to find good baked beans without pork but the flavor of these is so good, they are so easy in the instant pot and I know the ingredients are good for my family. I love this recipe and my family does too!
My people LOVED these. I made them so many times this past summer.
Hello Kate thanks for the recipes. I'm new to canning not exactly a popular thing to do in Australia, can this be canned ?
Yes I pressure can these.
This is on regular rotation in our house. These beans are filling and delicious. We often just serve along side some brown rice for an easy meal.
These taste so good! Plus I love how for this recipe there is all the variations for if you're using the instant pot, oven, or crock pot.
Can't wait to try these. Husband can't eat any mammal due to an allergy. So this sounds so good
They are delicious!