Wild Game Pot Pie Freezer Meal
I often call this Wild Game Pot Pie my “Anything Goes” Pot Pie. Intentionally cook leftover roast meat, potatoes and vegetables when you’re making dinner one night, so dinner comes together effortlessly the next day. Adjust it to your liking- use whatever meat, vegetables or cheese your family favours. I’ve never found a bad combination! Heck, put your leftover thick meat and potato stew in a casserole dish, throw this crust on top and bake as directed. The sky is the limit.
The inspiration for this Wild Game Pot Pie recipe comes from the recipe “Beef Pot Pie with Flaky Cheddar Crust” from Good Cheap Eats cookbook.
Combinations we love–
- Venison+Green beans
Wild Game Pot Pie
- 2 cups cooked meat (leftover roast is perfect!)
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 2 cups leftover cooked OR frozen vegetables standard "mixed frozen vegetables" work great or leftover roast roots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, you name it!
For the Gravy
- 1/4 cup butter or lard
- 1 cup diced onion (or 1/4 cup dried)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups broth of choice (this will depend what meat youre using)
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Pot Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar, asiago, gouda or cheese of choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme optional
- cold water, amount varies
- Melt butter or lard in a pot on medium heat. If using fresh onion, saute it here, if using dried, wait to add.
- Add flour, stir around for a minute or two letting it cook.
- Add the broth, stir well to combine.
- Add the herbs and spices.
- Bring to a simmer to thicken ,take off the heat
Pot Pie Filling
- Cube up the meat, potatoes and vegetables if applicable, dump it all into a big bowl.
- Add the gravy, stir around well, then pour into a 9×13 casserole dish to cool while you make the crust
Pot Pie Crust
- Mix together the flour and salt.
- Grate in the butter, stir to combine.
- Grate in the cheese, stir to combine.
- Add water, a bit at a time, until you have a dough that holds together like biscuit dough.
- Roll your dough out to fit the size of your pan, slit a few slits in it with a sharp knife to let out steam.
- Bake at 425F until the filling is bubbling and the topping is browned, approx 30 minutes.
- Let cook and enjoy!
To make it ahead in the day-
- Make it up until you would put it in the oven, put it in the fridge until youre ready to bake it, preheat the oven and bake until done. May take a few extra minutes.
To make it a freezer meal-
- Assemble in a freezer safe pan. Wrap in 2 layers of aluminum foil. Label well and pop it in the freezer.
- To Cook from frozen- put it in the oven, THEN turn the oven on to 400F, and bake until bubbly and browned, this will take a good hour or so, make sure to allow time.
Want more wild game dish ideas?