This is my sisters go- to recipe. My sister Molly is the sourdough QUEEN and tortilla master. I cant quite manage round tortillas like the one in the picture that she made…but she throws down round after round one. It must be all the practice! She swears by only using her rye starter and a fresh ground whole grain, but I’ve made them with my white/all purpose starter and white/all purpose flour and theyre just as delicious. Just dont tell her I cheat on her recipe and use white flour. I promise theyre just as delicious, even if you cant roll a round tortilla like me.
Whole Grain Sourdough (Discard!) Tortillas
- 2 c flour; any of the following have been tested and work out dandy- all purpose, soft white wheat, hard red wheat, hard white wheat, khorasan/kamut, red fife, einkorn, spelt
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil, melted lard or melted butter
- 1/2 c water or milk non dairy mylks too!
- 1/2 c starter This can be at any stage as long as it has doubled. So it could be nice and doubled, or fallen and ready to discard
- Mix flour, salt and oil/lard together.
- In a measuring cup combine starter and water/milk.
- Combine the wet and dry and gently knead into a uniform dough.
- Let sit 6-18 hrs, 12 is best. If you want to push to 24hrs, put it in the fridge for the full 24 hrs.
- Divide into golfball sized balls, roll thin as you can.
- Dry cast iron frying pan on medium heat, 30-60 seconds a side, until there is little brown spots/bubbles.