This homemade Apple Strudel recipe has been made in my family as long as I can remember! I posted a picture on Instagram and everyone wanted the recipe. And really, with it's flaky crust, spicy apple filling, and drizzle of sweet sugary goodness over the top who can blame you? So without further ado here is the recipe!
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk save the white!
- ¾ cup milk
- 6 apples peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or ¼ cup flour
- ¾-1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in egg yolk and milk gently until makes a uniform dough. Add a bit more milk if needed for it to come together.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Roll half of the dough out on a cookie sheet (I line with parchment).
- Toss together the apples, cornstarch, sugar and cinnamon in the same bowl you made the dough in (less dishes!!)
- Then lay the apples over the dough.
- Now here is whether your Type A or Type Not Organized At All personality comes out. I pile them all on then pat them into an even layer. Some may lay in a nice overlapping fashion. It all bakes and tastes the same, man.
- Roll out the remaining dough and lay overtop of the apples.
- Tuck the top pastry underneath of the bottom pastry to make one big pocket.
- Make slits in top pastry to let steam out.
- Whip the egg white until stiff, then spread over top of the dough.
- Bake the Apple Strudel for 30 minutes.
- Optional: When the Strudel has cooled down to warm/room temp, make an icing with 1 cup icing sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and water or milk to make a runny icing, then drizzle over top.
- This is good fresh or over the next couple days…if it lasts that long!
- Do yourself a favour and double the dough, tucking half of it in the fridge for a strudel in a few days.
Looking for more tasty desserts for your family? These are some that are always crowd pleasers when I serve them!