Where we used to live, Marius had a group of friends who got together for a beer on Wednesday nights, and called it “Hump Night” cause it was on “Hump Day” aka Wednesday, the middle of the week. Until they realized Thursday mornings getting up for work were getting harder and harder when they sat around a fire chatting until late at night…or early hours. No one ever got out of control, they were truly just a group of guys getting together to visit and talk.
They moved it to Friday night, but it kept its original name. Early in the week texts would start going around about “where's hump night this week.” Sometimes wives+kids would be involved, sometimes it was just 3 guys around a fire pit. Everyone always brought what they wanted to drink, and food to share.
Two friends were roommates, and almost every week, they brought the BEST bean dip. It was super simple for one of them to grab the makings on their way after work and everyone always enjoyed it, plus it's super filling.
Our family has since started making it ourselves, and everyone else we’ve shared it with is equally excited about it. While Mike or Adam would grab everything store-bought on the way to whoever’s house it was at, these days I find myself grabbing a pint of homemade salsa and home-canned ready-to-be-refried pinto beans and using those, which makes it all the more satisfying.
It looks…not impressive. I promise you it's more than the sum of its parts!
This is great with tortilla chips, in an egg burrito, with crusty bread. I’m sure you could serve it with vegetables too…but I love my carbs, man! You can also top leftovers with cheese and bake it for a hot dip no one will turn their nose up at.
Mike and Adam's Avocado Bean Dip
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 jar your favourite salsa we love corn and black bean!
- 1-2 avocados depending on how much you love avocado
- Juice of one lime or lemon or 2-3 tablespoon bottled lemon or lime juice
- Fresh cilantro optional
- Dump beans and salsa into a bowl.
- Cut avocado in half, score it in a grid for bite-sized pieces and scoop out with a spoon into the bowl.
- Add lemon/lime, stir well. Serve right away or keeps in fridge 2-3 days!
- Keep your salsa and beans about the same size (volume) cans or home-canned pints, etc. This recipe is super easy to customize - keep your salsa and beans equal and add avocado and lemon juice to taste.