I have a love affair with sausages.
Hmmm. That doesn’t sound right. I promise my mind isn’t in the gutter.
Wait. Didn’t I say that about meatballs? Guess I have a thing for flavourful easy to eat meat. Especially if it’s game meat! Just stick a fork in me, I’m done!
This Baked Venison Sausages with Apples & Onions recipe started as an “I need to throw something together and I’ve got thawed sausages” idea. I didn’t want our basic baked/pan fried sausages with rice and applesauce that night. No, no, no, Mama was craving something a little fancier on a dreary winter night.
Baked Venison Sausages with Apples & Onions recipe delivers in a serious way. Flavourful sausages. Soft apples and onions, melding together in a perfect pan sauce that, naturally, I had to drizzle on rice. There isn’t one bit of this that you’ll regret.
I’m sorry that the picture is only of the before, not after. But, Ce la Vie. It is what it is and the winter light is horrible at this time of year. Not conducive to good food photos!
Instead, you can imagine it after it’s baked for half an hour and pulled out of the oven, steaming a wonderful aroma into your house. Mmmmm. I better pull out some sausages and make another pan…
This recipe makes enough to feed 6-8. If that’s not your family, then split it between two pans and freeze one for later. Or, gift it to a friend, which is what we did with our second pan, along with a container of rice and a container of salad. Food is my love language and my ministry!
As always, if you don’t have wild game sausages, substitute with your favourite domestic meat such as beef, pork or chicken sausages! I used Venison Sicilian, which is a fennel seeds and red wine sausage. I think most any sausage variety would go well here, sweet, spicy, breakfast, chorizo, italian, you name it!
Baked Sausages with Apples and Onions
- 2 pounds Venison Sausage
- 4 medium to large apples, cored and sliced (skins on)
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard, A fancy one would be lovely, but honestly, I used frenchs yellow mustard…
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Layer sliced apples and onions between one or two pans. 1- 9×13 or 2- 8×8 work perfect.
- Put sausages on top and poke with a knife to allow juices to flow when they cook.
- Mix the honey, apple cider vinegar, and mustard together.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the pan(s).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until sausages are fully baked.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes and make sure you drizzle those lovely juices and sauce from the pan overtop of the rice!
Diversify your game recipes! Here are some of our favorites!
- Korean Venison
- Venison Chickpea Curry
- Hunters Pie
- Big Game Round Steaks
- Venison Swiss Steaks
- Big Batch Venison Meatballs