This recipe for Overnight Cinnamon Twists has a serious history for my family. When my sister Molly was younger, she would make these to sell at our local farmers market. When she grew out of it, I grew into it. It was a terrific way to make some spending money. To this day, our family still loves making them, so I hope your family loves them too!
A note about flour- these can be made with 100% white or 100% whole wheat flour (including fresh ground hard wheat). BUT! If your family is used to white, don’t go making these all whole wheat and thinking they’ll like it. Start with just 1 cup of whole wheat and work your way up so they get accustomed to it.
You can also try our sourdough version of these cinnamon twists!
Overnight Cinnamon Twists
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In the bowl of your mixer, stir yeast and water together. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, butter, sour cream/yogurt, eggs salt and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Cover with a damp cloth and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours, up to 2 days.
- The dough will look basically unchanged at this point.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 15×18 inch rectangle, then spread the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of it.
- Fold the dough like a letter towards the middle into thirds.
- Then turn the dough horizontally and roll into a 1/4 inch rectangle.
- Then slice into 1 inch strips.
- Grease or cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Twist the strips by picking up each end of the strip and twist in opposite directions.
- Then place on the tray next to the others.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then devour!
Kid-Approved Breakfast Ideas
Start your day off without a fight when you serve up one of these breakfast ideas with a no-complaining guarantee!
- My Mama’s Scones
- Dutch Baby Pancakes
- Sourdough Biscuits
- Old Fashioned Donuts
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- One Hour Cinnamon Rolls