Overnight Cinnamon Twists are a family favourite, but once I started playing around with sourdough, I KNEW I needed to convert them into a sourdough recipe! I hope your family loves them as much as we do!
A note about flour- these can be made with 100% white or 100% whole wheat flour (including fresh ground hard wheat). BUT! If your family is used to white, don’t go making these all whole wheat and thinking they’ll like it. Start with just 1 cup of whole wheat and work your way up so they get accustomed to it.
Sourdough Cinnamon Twists
- 1 cup starter
- 4-5 cups flour, depending on sourdough consistency and whether you used sour cream or yogurt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream, or yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix the starter, flour, butter, sour cream/yogurt, eggs, salt and vanilla together in your mixer until smooth.
- Cover with a damp towel and let sit 6-24 hours on the counter.
- The dough will look basically unchanged at this point.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 15×18 inch rectangle and then spread the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of it.
- Fold like a letter towards the middle into thirds,
- Then turn the dough horizontally and roll into a 1/4 inch rectangle.
- Then slice into 1 inch strips.
- Grease or cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Twist the strips by picking up each end of the strip and twisting them in opposite directions.
- Place the twists on the tray next to each other.
- Bake for 15 minutes, let cool a bit, then devour!
Kid-Approved Breakfast Ideas
Start your day off without a fight when you serve up one of these breakfast ideas with a no-complaining guarantee!