Ham Bone and Pea Soup transforms a few, simple ingredients into such a good soup. Marius remembers his Mom simmering the hambone all night…simmering the soup all day…not anymore with the Instant Pot! I started my soup at 4 pm and we ate it at 6.
Instant Pot Ham Bone Pea Soup
- Instant Pot
- Leftover hambone mostly picked clean of meat (cube and reserve the meat for later)
- 2 carrots
- 2 head garlic skin on
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 litres water
- 3 cups split peas
- 2 quarts/litres broth
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder depending on taste preferences (swap for 1-2 tsp each cumin powder, turmeric and coriander powder if don't have curry powder)
- 2 tbsp dried minced onions, or 1/2https://youtu.be/CrJJamHBqnc c chopped onion
- Make the broth in the Instant Pot by adding the hambone, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and water.
- In your instant pot put-
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes after then manual pressure release. (Open it too soon after it's done and you'll paint your kitchen with soup, in my experience!)
- Strain your broth into a separate bowl/pot.
- Then place the split peas, 2 litres bone broth, curry powder, and onions into the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, let sit 10 minutes, then manual pressure release. (This is going to be thicker than you want, but you still have broth leftover to thin it to preference.)
- Stir in your reserved cubed meat, as well as pick the meat off the cooked bone.
- Now is when you salt and pepper your soup to taste. Hams vary in saltiness so I don't suggest salting it until the end.
More Soup Recipes
It wouldn’t be winter without warm and hearty soup recipes. These recipes are cold weather Canadian approved!