Instant Pot Ham Bone Pea Soup
Hambone and Pea Soup transforms a few, simple ingredients into such a hearty and delicious soup. The Instant Pot takes a recipe that used to simmer all day and gets it on the table in under 2 hours!
- Instant Pot
- Leftover hambone mostly picked clean of meat (cube and reserve the meat for later)
- 2 carrots
- 2 head garlic skin on
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 litres water
- 3 cups split peas
- 2 quarts/litres broth
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder depending on taste preferences (swap for 1-2 teaspoon each cumin powder, turmeric and coriander powder if don't have curry powder)
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onions, or ½https://youtu.be/CrJJamHBqnc c chopped onion
- Make the broth in the Instant Pot by adding the hambone, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and water.
- In your instant pot put-
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes after then manual pressure release. (Open it too soon after it's done and you'll paint your kitchen with soup, in my experience!)
- Strain your broth into a separate bowl/pot.
- Then place the split peas, 2 litres bone broth, curry powder, and onions into the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, let sit 10 minutes, then manual pressure release. (This is going to be thicker than you want, but you still have broth leftover to thin it to preference.)
- Stir in your reserved cubed meat, as well as pick the meat off the cooked bone.
- Now is when you salt and pepper your soup to taste. Hams vary in saltiness so I don't suggest salting it until the end.
Calories: 551kcalCarbohydrates: 100gProtein: 38gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.4gSodium: 86mgPotassium: 1667mgFiber: 40gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 5336IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 153mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
So simple and so tasty! I love how frugal this recipe is. Definitely tastier the more ham you add.
Nancy L. Vallereux
I assume it's supposed to be 2 garlic cloves not heads-
Great recipe. My ham bone was frozen so I put it in for 35min, which worked great. We had split red lentils, which also worked really well. What I like about this recipe is that it is solid. The quantities are spot on. The flavors are amazing, and the instructions to use the instant pot were clear. These instant pots are a great gift for those who want to make their own meals. We are still new to using it, and it came out perfect. Also, the curry mix really elevated the soup. Thank you.