I started making this recipe as a freezer meal when I was pregnant with Rowan, had a lot of bear farmers sausage in my freezer and googled freezer meals with smoked sausage. I’ve since discovered I can tweak it to add frozen vegetables, different meats, different cheese and a LOT bigger batch. Cause this mama needs easy and variable to get dinner on the table every night.
- 10 cups shredded cooked potatoes OR frozen precooked shredded hashbrowns use leftover baked potatoes or bake up some extra to make this fast
- 4 cups chopped cooked meat chicken, ham, pork roast, beef roast, kielbasa, you name it!
- 5 cups frozen chopped kale or other frozen chopped greens sub for 2-3 cups other frozen vegetables such as broccoli or green beans OR 7-8 cups fresh chopped kale. It shrinks down once its been frozen so you'll need more fresh
- 2-3 cups shredded asiago, cheddar, mozzarella or pepper jack
- 1/3 cup dried onion flakes OR 1 cup fresh chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried thyme, dill or oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups milk
- Mix potatoes, chicken, kale, cheese and dried onions in a big bowl.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and mix in the rest of the sauce ingredients
- Drizzle butter mix over potato mix and toss to coat well
- Divide between 2 -9×13 or 3- 8×8 greased pans
- To freeze, cover with foil, write date and freeze instructions and pop into the freezer
- To cook- use fresh or thaw, cover a 9×13 pan with 3 cups of milk or an 8×8 with 2 cups of milk.
- Bake at 375F for 45-60 minutes, OR until browned and bubbly
- For an extra crisp crust, broil for 3-5 minutes, but be sure to set a timer for only 2-3 minutes and check!
Want more freezer meal inspo?