Theres something about Sausage Lentil Soup I just love. It's comfort in a bowl. The ingredients are so darn simple, almost as if the finished product is more than a sum of its part. I love when that happens. If you want to stretch your efforts farther, add another cup of lentils and another quart of broth, it'll be less sausage-y but just as delicious. And more frugal!
Sausage Lentil Soup
- 1 ½ lbs sausages/sausage meat of your choice I used Venison Sicilian sausages. Something like Italian,bratwurst, mild chorizo, rosemary, something herby, would work.
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 cup green lentils
- 3 quarts broth
- salt to taste
- Take the skins of the sausage and saute in a large pot on medium.
- When mostly cooked, add carrots, celery, onions and garlic.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes, then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for an hour.
- Taste for seasoning, and serve!
- When it's been chilled, it'll thicken up more and you might need to thin it with water to get it to your desired consistency.
Warming Soup Recipes
There's nothing like a steamy bowl of soup to warm you from the inside out on those chilly winter nights! Here are some of our favorite soup recipes besides Sausage Lentil Soup!
Delicious soup! I didn't bother measuring amounts of veggies, i just eyeballed it. I only used 2 cloves of garlic and it was still tasty. I like adding in canned diced tomatoes or frozen kale (cooked separately) to just my bowl because the rest of my family does not like those veggies in soup.
This soup is delicious! Very easy to make and satisfying.