I always make up a jar of taco spice to keep on hand…because why got to the effort, every time I need it?! Save yourself some time and mix up a jar so you’re set for many more taco nights.
Ive personally never bought a single use seasoning mix such as taco, ranch, italian etc...when I look at the ingredients, I know I can make it cheaper and better at home, without having to remember to buy the little seasoning packs for every time I want one of the above!
It may seem odd that I give tarragon OR oregano as the herb choices, but in growing lots of tarragon (my oregano has been so so ) the last couple of years, I’ve discovered it goes really well in place of oregano in many dishes!
Cocoa may seem out of place but it adds a depth of flavour, not chocolatey, I swear it! Just like many people put a dash of cinnamon or cocoa in their chili, I like the cocoa in my taco seasoning. People probably won't be able to put their finger on it, but they will love the flavour.
This recipe is flavourful but mild- those who love spice in our house add hot pepper flakes to their meal. That's one of the best part of making your own spice mixes, you aren't dependent on the manufacturer's idea of spice. Everyone can adjust their plate to their liking.
Taco spice is also good on roasted potatoes, in soup, or as a dip! Yes! For a dip, salad dressing, or sauce to drizzle on tacos! I'll share this very soon.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- ½ cup salt-free chili powder
- ¼ cup tarragon or oregano
- 3 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup minced dried onion
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons cumin seeds or 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Measure into a pint jar, put a lid on and shake well.
- Label and tuck away with your other spices.
- When seasoning taco meat, I recommend 2 tablespoons per pound.