Dairy Free Sourdough Discard Pancake Recipe
If your new starter is happy and bubbling but not quite ready for bread, may I suggest sourdough pancakes? Naturally dairy free, and I bet you could swap flax eggs for the eggs to make them vegan/plantbased…let me know in the comments if you try that!
Depending on your starter, it may be thinner and you will need to add extra flour. Its super versatile, you can use basic all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or a gluten free flour such as buckwheat (or some one to one flour!) Its so little flour, that it really doesnt make a big deal what one you use.
If you’ve got overzealous with your starter and find yourself staring down a large jar of it (ever swapped your starter into a gallon jar and suddenly its gotten away on you? ehem…) this uses up a lot of starter!
Sourdough Discard Pancakes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- Extra flour
- Combine sugar, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Then add eggs and oil.
- Mix well then add 1 cup sourdough starter/discard that was fed at LEAST 12 hours ago, has risen and fallen and is runnier now.
- Mix well. Check if it's a good pancake batter thickness. If not:
- Add 2-4 tbsp flour to thicken as needed. Don't sweat if you need more than that. I've used all-purpose, whole wheat, spelt, buckwheat; most flours work here.
- Cook 1/4 cup scoops on a hot griddle or buttered cast iron pan until bubbles form and pop on outside of pancakes. Flip, cook until fluffy, and bounce back. Enjoy!