Sweet and Sour Meatballs
It's official that I'm in love with Sweet and Sour Meatballs. They're so versatile! They taste like good take out and they can be prepped ahead. Sweet and Sour Meatballs even freeze well in a Ziplock bag with the cooled sauce. They easily upscale to make large batches at once. Need I say more?
Servings: 3 people
- 1 lb ground meat, I used venison
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oatmeal, put through blender or food processor
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp dried minced garlic)
- a dash of pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sucanat, rapadura or panella (These are all low processed sugars. Use brown sugar if thats all you have. 3-4 tbsp honey could be subbed!)
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits or chunks, optional
- Mix together the meat, egg, oatmeal, garlic and pepper.
- Roll into 1" balls and brown in a skillet with oil on medium-high.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together water, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and brown sugar over medium heat until thickened.
- Arrange browned meatballs in 8"x8" pan, sprinkle pineapple on top then pour the sauce on.
- Refrigerate for a day or so OR bake right away at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Sweet & Sour Meatballs freeze well in a ziplock bag with cooled sauce and meatballs.
- To make a large batch, brown in the oven at 350F for 10 min on a cookie sheet!