Sweet and Sour Meatballs
It's official that I'm in love with Sweet and Sour Meatballs. They're so versatile! They taste like good take out and they can be prepped ahead. Sweet and Sour Meatballs even freeze well in a Ziplock bag with the cooled sauce. They easily upscale to make large batches at once. Need I say more?
- 1 lb ground meat I used venison
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oatmeal put through blender or food processor
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic)
- a dash of pepper
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sucanat rapadura or panella (These are all low processed sugars. Use brown sugar if thats all you have. 3-4 tablespoon honey could be subbed!)
- ½ cup pineapple tidbits or chunks, optional
- Mix together the meat, egg, oatmeal, garlic and pepper.
- Roll into 1" balls and brown in a skillet with oil on medium-high.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together water, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and brown sugar over medium heat until thickened.
- Arrange browned meatballs in 8"x8" pan, sprinkle pineapple on top then pour the sauce on.
- Refrigerate for a day or so OR bake right away at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Sweet & Sour Meatballs freeze well in a ziplock bag with cooled sauce and meatballs.
- To make a large batch, brown in the oven at 350F for 10 min on a cookie sheet!
Calories: 405kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 36gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 474mgPotassium: 609mgFiber: 1gSugar: 28gVitamin A: 99IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 43mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
So much tastier, healthier and cheaper than ordering take out! We pretty much always have some of these in our freezer. I always double the sauce and serve it with lots of broccoli and rice. Yuummmm